High School Sweethearts Torn Apart by Racist Laws Reunite And Get Married Over 45 Years Later

High School Sweethearts Torn Apart by Racist Laws Reunite And Get Married Over 45 Years Later

After nearly 5 decades of being torn apart due to society's racist perception and attitude, Myra Clark and Howard Foster are finally able to be a couple again.

Howard Andrew Foster and Myra Clark started dating each other in high school. The two of them were madly in love with each other but engaged in a relationship at a time when interracial mixing was frowned upon by society. That's right Howard is of African descent and Myra is a caucasian. But now, nearly 5 decades later, they finally reunited and Howard is certain that he would never let them be separated again. 

Racism ended up breaking them up. After many decades, the two of them reunited at Sharon Woods Metro Park in the fall of 2013. They held hands across a picnic table and talked with much joy and laughter... it was as if they'd never been apart. “It was that dream you just never thought would come true … there she was,” Howard said. They first started dating in high school and clicked instantly.  





In 1967, the Supreme Court case Loving vs. Virginia made interracial marriage legal after the interracial couple sued Virginia for its laws prohibiting marriages like theirs.  Now, interracial couples, marriages, and relationships are more common today than ever before in the United States. Marriages between people of different races reached a record high of 8.4 percent in 2010, according to the New York Times.



While in college, Foster was completely aware of the consequences of their relationship in each other's lives. For starters, he was, at that time, the only black person who studied at Columbus Technical Institute (now Columbus State Community College) and he recalled experiencing numerous instances of racism from his professors. But at that point, his love for Myra was all he could think and dream about, but her concern for her life was greater than his desire to be with her, so he decided to end their relationship. 


According to the couple, they had to constantly deal with stares and comments from others during their entire time together. Things have changed now, and Foster couldn't be happier. He admitted that he was afraid that Myra would eventually get sick and tired of dealing with the stares, so he felt it wasn't fair on his part to keep the relationship going. 

Myra too recollects the problems they faced from society. After a tearful goodbye, they separated shortly after graduation and began living their own lives. They never forgot each other, however. They both got married to different people and started separate families but both their respective spouses passed away due to old age and sickness. 





It was then, in 2013, when they met again. Myra was working at Mount Carmel Hospital, where she met a nurse whose daughter was married to Foster's son. They then came together on the Labor Day weekend of 2013 and it was just like college all over again... love at first sight. They got engaged soon after and got married on August 1st, 2015, almost half a century on from their first date. Their story is a heartwarming tale of true lovers who are meant to be together finding a way to make it happen. 


Recommended for you