Runi Khatun, 26, from the state of West Bengal, was admitted to a hospital where it was found she had eaten several items of jewelry.
A bizarre story of a woman in India who swallowed jewelry and coins worth $64,000 has left people horrified. Doctors performed an operation of nearly 2 hours and took out a chunk of things from the woman's abdomen that included 69 chains, 80 earrings, 46 coins, eight lockets, 11 nose rings, four keys, five anklets and one watch dial from her abdomen. The jewelry was taken out when Runi Khatun, 26, was admitted to a hospital on July 16 in the state of West Bengal. She had been throwing up after every meal and was in a very weak and emaciated state, according to a Daily Mail report.
There has been a sharp increase in medical cases where patients have been reported to swallow solid objects for reasons unknown. https://t.co/shtiGZ0DuB— Reading Enrichment (@withTonyandLisa) July 25, 2019
According to the doctors who operated on Khatun, most of the objects they found in her stomach were made of copper and brass. There were also some items made of expensive gold. Khatun's mother said that she had noticed a number of ornaments going missing from the house but she had never expected, in her wildest dreams, that her daughter was swallowing them. Sometimes she even got coins from her brother's shop and ate them. When she would be questioned by about the missing objects she would cry.
This food was a bit rich of her:Runi Khatun was 'weak and emaciated' when she was rushed to hospital in #India— Hans Solo (@thandojo) July 26, 2019
Baffled doctors removed 69 chains, 80 earrings and 46 coins form her stomach
The 26-yo had stolen coins from her brother's shop and swallowed them pic.twitter.com/sBofy9K5mx
1.6 kg ornaments, 90 coins, watch removed from Bengal woman Runi Khatun's stomach in Rampur Haat Medical College https://t.co/FSCQvyHwGo— Raj Kumar Jha (@rajpadma) July 25, 2019
Dr. Siddhartha Biswas, head of the surgery department at the Rampurhat Government Medical College and Hospital, said the operation could not take place immediately since the patient was very weak. Dr. Biswas said, "The patient looked weak and emaciated at the time when she was admitted to the hospital. Her albumin and hemoglobin count were so low that we could not perform an operation soon."
He added, "Her condition was so critical that she required at least five bottles of blood. She could not even intake food physically so we had to administer Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) to artificially inject food through her mouth." A week after the patient was stabilized, doctors performed the procedure. "If we had operated on her earlier, she wouldn't have survived," stated Dr. Biswas.
Khatun is now in a stable condition. She may be suffering from an eating disorder called Acuphagia – where people eat sharp metal objects and other indigestible items. This is however different from another condition called Pica, a psychological disorder where people eat hair, paper, drywall or paint, sharp objects, metal, stones, soil, glass, even faeces, and chalk.
There have been reports of other patients suffering from these disorders. There was a case of a man from the state of Madhya Pradesh from whose stomach doctors removed as many as 30 objects that included razor blades and screwdrivers. He had complained of having severe abdomen pain prior to being admitted to a hospital. The 30-year-old man, identified as Yogesh Thakur, was admitted to hospital on July 14.
Kusma Thakur, his mother said he would just about eat anything. An X-Ray was performed which revealed shocking results. Doctors were shocked to find objects like a knife, a screwdriver and plastic inside his stomach. In another incident, a man in the western state of Rajasthan swallowed 116 nails and had to undergo an operation in May. In yet another case 3 pounds of metal such as nuts, bolts, and jewelry were removed from the stomach of a woman last year in Gujarat, a western Indian state.