×
5-Year-Old Kindergarten Student Brings Margarita Mix Drink To School

5-Year-Old Kindergarten Student Brings Margarita Mix Drink To School

The child brought a bottle of ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo margaritas which several students drank from.

A kindergartner at Grand River Academy Livonia brought a bottle of ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo margaritas to the school and served it to five other students. All of them are just five years old. The parents of the students are now outraged after they learned that the students drank the alcohol during snack time. According to The Daily Mail, the children are currently doing fine but the school plans to take 'disciplinary measures' against the student who brought in the single-serve, pre-mixed drink to school in her backpack.



 

 

Alexis Smith and Dominique Zanders, whose daughters attend Grand River Academy in Livonia, were shocked after they learned what happened. Smith's kindergartner had a Dixie cup full of the mixed tequila drink and said she had four or five sips. Zanders' child "felt woozy, a little dizzy," according to FOX 2. "The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face," Zanders said. "I had a small conversation with my daughter—nothing big—and she told me the girl knew it was liquor," Smith added.



 

 

The outraged parents are not directing their anger at the child but at the school officials. They are also wondering how it could have been prevented. The school responded with a statement that says, in part, "While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks." 



 

 

The school called poison control to check what to do next and called the parents right away to let them know the children were physically okay. The school released a letter to parents acknowledging the incident and said the student will be disciplined if necessary. However, Smith and Zanders believe it's the parents of the kindergartner who should be punished. "If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it—but they should know not to touch it," Smith said. "That it's not for kids."



 

 

The women said the child brought a plastic bottle to class, WDIV-TV reported. According to the television station, the small bottle has a little more than 10 percent of alcohol in it. A spokesperson for the school also shared the following statement, “We understand our parents’ fears and frustrations. A student did bring a pre-mixed, single-serve alcoholic beverage that was marketed as adult lemonade to school and shared it with four classmates. While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks. School staff noticed the beverage and immediately addressed the situation, which included consulting with medical professionals at poison control and calling the parents of the children involved. We are grateful no student became ill or needed medical attention.”



 



Recommended for you