2-Year-Old Baby Girl Back Home For The First Time After Fighting For Life For 848 Days In Hospital

2-Year-Old Baby Girl Back Home For The First Time After Fighting For Life For 848 Days In Hospital

Addy Smith was born premature in 2019 and spent the first two years of her life in hospitals.

A two-year-old girl who spent the first two years of her life in the hospital is finally home with her family. Addy Smith was born three months early in December 2019 and went home for the first time on April 5, 2022. The baby from San Marcos was born via cesarean section at 27 weeks and four days at Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns in San Diego. Addy's parents, Aliesha and Chris Smith had struggled for seven years with infertility and were even told that they won't be able to have children at one point.



"We had tried so long. It was never ever on the table, never an option to not see things through with her and not give her a chance," Chris Smith, 36, recalled to Good Morning America. "The OB (obstetrician) had told us, she just painted a picture of what it would be like for the next, at least couple years, and the rest of her life and we were really like, 'OK, let's go. Let's saddle up and this is what was meant to be.'"



Addy was born three months early and had been in the hospital since December 10, 2019, 848 days ago. She had several health setbacks but she and her family never gave up. Three months after her birth, the infant stopped breathing and her family feared the worst. "The doctors did not think she was going to make it and we were getting ready to say our goodbyes," Aliesha Smith, 35, recalled. But the staff at Sharp Mary Birch told Aliesha and Chris that in order to give Addy a fighting chance, she'd have to be transferred to Rady Children's Hospital. So they did. She was moved to Rady's neonatal intensive care unit in March 2020 when COVID-19 hit. 



Dr. Sandeep Khanna, a pediatric intensivist and the medical director of the pediatric intensive care unit at Rady Children's Hospital treated the infant at the hospital for a year as she struggled to breathe on her own due to chronic lung disease. "She was a challenge," Khanna told GMA. "She was having periods when the air exchange was very difficult on her and we had to give her heavy amounts of sedation to relax her, and sometimes even the heavy, heavy amounts of sedation did not work. The only thing which helped us through was that we had to give her a paralyzing medication after heavy sedation," Khanna continued. "It was tricky because sometimes those episodes would resolve [after] maybe 30 minutes or an hour. But sometimes she would have periods of those episodes maybe 10 times a day and she would continue to have it for like seven to 10 days. And it was hard to wean her from heavy sedation and muscle relaxation medications. And that's why she was stuck in the hospital."



After a difficult couple of years, Addy is finally back home with her family. Although she still needs to use a ventilator at home, for now, her parents are full of hope for their oldest child. "It's been miracle after miracle with her," Chris said. "We're both so excited to see where she goes and what she can do. And I know she's always going to continue to blow us away and surprise us." Chris also told CBS 8, “She is like no other human I know. She is so strong and so resilient." Rady’s hospital noted that Addy was the longest stay of any patient. “She is fighting and smiling, and we weren't sure we would ever see that,” said Dr. Jeanne Carroll, Addy’s Neonatologist.


Recommended for you